Logs from Norway, Sat Feb 19

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Kai
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Logs from Norway, Sat Feb 19

Post by Kai »

The conditions have been quite good at around sunset recently, and since I had some spare hours at around that time today, I decided to go on a ‘mini DXpedition’ to the wood near our block of flats. Although it was quite cold, it was nice to sit under a tree, in the snow, watching the sun go down while listening to the radio. I sat and listened until it was dark and I couldn’t move my fingers ...

All times UTC. S as in SINPO. The frequencies are a bit uncertain, since my Sangean tends to show a kHz or so too much when it’s really cold ...

1557 6310 Radio Spaceshuttle ending his broadcast with dance music and canned IDs. A pity I just missed him, because Dick always has interesting programmes! QRM from Russian (?) stations QSOing in USB (fishermen?). S2
1601 6304 UNID station playing ‘Mississippi’ S3
1604 6294 Mickey Mouse, Utrecht with a very funny and interesting ‘over’ for Trans Europe. (QSOs are often more interesting than programmes!) Was only using 25-30W S3-4
1614 6290 Baken 16 in QSO with Mickey Mouse and the others. Later 6295. S3-4
1616 6295 Trans Europe, south-west NL QSOing. S3-4
1619 6300 Radio Antonio ‘met een paar plaatjes ...’ Polka. S3
1621 6294 Pluto with reports for the others. Was only using 20W. Good signals and audio from all the QSOers! S3-4
1621 6280 Radio Marconi S4
1627 6547 UNID station playing ‘Free Falling’. Long pauses between the records. S3
1633 6635L Three stations from the west of the Netherlands (at least two of them were from Noord-Holland) having an interesting conversation about vacation plans, transceivers etc. Good signals! A station from Berlin tried to join in, but the Dutch guys didn’t understand his (excellent) English. Quite a few stations on the ‘Echo Charlie’ band today, by the way (mainly French and Italian ones).
1644 6960 Atlantic Radio with rock music. S3
1657 6210 Laser Hot Hits with a documentary about Radio Caroline. S3
1706 2971 UNID Russian or Ukrainian station QSOing or calling CQ (I couldn’t hear any other stations, and he kept repeating some of the same words). I think he mentioned Radio Kristall. S2
1712 3020 UNID Russian or Ukrainian station QSOing with one or two weaker stations. Long overs. Good signal! S3

RX: Sangean ATS 909
ANT: 9 metres of wire 2-3m above the ground

It was interesting to hear so many stations from the west of the Netherlands (on both 48 and 45m). In fact, it seems that the QSO stations on short wave are often from the west (Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland ...) and north (Friesland), while the ‘platendraaiers’ tend to be from the east. A difference in mentality? (Or perhaps my observation is wrong ...)

I find the Russian and Ukrainian AM stations on 3 MHz very fascinating (lots of stations on the band this afternoon, although I think one has to have a rather good antenna to hear them properly). Some of the operators sound like real characters. I wish I could understand Russian! I’ve noticed that there are some Russian listeners on this forum, by the way. It would be very interesting (for me at least!) if someone could tell us a bit about these stations. (I’ve found some material on the Internet, but it’s not so accessible as most of it is in Russian ...)

73, Kai in Oslo
Kai
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Re: Logs from Norway, Sat Feb 19

Post by Kai »

ADDENDUM - LOGGINGS FROM HOME IN THE EVENING

2250 3078 Lipa, Krasnodar calling CQ (presumably). (The station name is a bit tentative, but 'lipa' is the Russian word for tilia, the tree.) S2
2309 3932 The Ghoul (I presume) talking about seconds that change pace and about being 'not quite right'. Played the Doors' 'People are Strange'. Good signal, but difficult copy in all the local QRM (I hope to catch you on the stream sometime, Mr. Ghoul!). S3

RX: Sangean ATS 909
ANT: some metres of wire on the balcony

Kai
Joe K
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by Joe K »

Hello Kai,

The 6547khz log was probably me testing for Central Radio International (UK) The music I was playing had long pauses between tracks

Thanks for the log

Joe (CRI)

www.centralradio.info
email: merseyradio@yahoo.com
Caroline
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by Caroline »

Hello Kai,

for any information of such Russian/Belrussian/Ukraine stations near 3 Mcs you should
ask Alexandr at Kiew (The Ukraine). He has a lot of knowledge about
those stations!

Greetings,
Radio Caroline International.