Pirate Report from Dunlo, PA, USA. 21 February 2010

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Dave Valko
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Pirate Report from Dunlo, PA, USA. 21 February 2010

Post by Dave Valko »

21 February 2010: The only station I was getting at home was a weak signal from LHH. None of the other stations typically heard before 0700 seemed to be on the air. The propagation data didn’t look all that promising. The Solar Flux has been coming down the last few days, and the A Index seemed too low. The MUF was 6 mhz in the north. Signals were peaking nicely at times. Static crashes seemed to become more numerous as the morning progressed. It was a little more noisy that it should be for Winter. Overall, conditions were poor to fair. If the weather had been the same as we’ve experienced the last couple weeks, I wouldn’t have gone out. The snow really hasn’t melted at all. I was pleasantly surprised that the snow was compacted enough that it held my weight while laying out the Beverage antenna. So I didn't get covered in snow. I noticed the morning fade out is coming around 0930 now. Its moving back quickly. With most stations not coming on till after 0900, I’ll probably only have about 4 more worthwhile (Sunday morning) opportunities left this season.

RX: Microtelecom Perseus SDR with ARR preamp.
ANT: 315' Beverage (BOG) at 50°.
QTH: Pennsylvania State Game Lands #26
Duration: 0720-1000 UTC
Solar Indices: Solar Flux = 84 A Index = 2 K Index = 1 No storms.
WX: Mostly cloudy, 21° F. (-6° C.)

4025 LHH 0722 apparently deadair, possibly in between pgms. 0730 getting some Rock mx. Not very strong but a little readable on peaks with the spike rejection off. 0733 M anncr w/song anmnt, then back to more Rock mx. More anmnts at 0741, but not readable. (21 Feb)

5815.04 Orion R. Signal came on at 0800:15, then Percy Faith started at 0801:28. Not that bad of a signal to start. Short canned ID, and into Polka. "Off Shore Echos" ad. 0808 live ID over mx, "Winter in Holland", morning greetings, freq, greeting to R. Tina, etc. Played “Take a Chance on Meâ€

Dave Valko
Dunlo, PA, USA
JoJo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JoJo »

Hello Dave, thanks for the log, much appreciated. Oops, only 4 sunday mornings left this season, that's to bad, but I guess there are other things to do.

So far I want to say thanks for getting out so often, this is much appreciated.