Pirate Report from Dunlo, PA, USA 22 November 2009

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Dave Valko
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Pirate Report from Dunlo, PA, USA 22 November 2009

Post by Dave Valko »

22 NOVEMBER 2009: Took the Perseus up to the SGLs for the usual Sunday morning Europirate micro-DXpedition. It was so quiet when listening to R. Amica at the start that I thought the preamp wasn’t working. Checked it and of course it was fine. Conditions really weren’t any better than they have been. I thought the increased A Index would change things. Still quite a bit of fading, although the peaks weren’t as pronounced. There was also a little static noise. And again, there was a small 5 mhz MUF area in the north Atlantic. But even with these relatively "average" conditions, I managed to pick up quite a few stations.

RX: Microtelecom Perseus SDR with ARR preamp.
ANT: 315' Beverage (BOG) at 50°.
QTH: Pennsylvania State Game Lands #26
Duration: 0705-1110 UTC
Solar Indices: Solar Flux = 76 A Index = 9 K Index = 1 No storms.
WX: Cloudy. Cool, around 40° (5° C.)

4025 LHH 0718 end of song then live M anncr, ID jingle, and back to Dance mx. 0723 another anmnt, jingle, and more Dance mx. (22 Nov)

7600.06 R. Amica 0726 Rap mx. 0730 usual canned "R. Amica onda corte..." ID by M, then into "Sailing" by Christopher Cross. 0744 another Italian anmnt, and more Dance mx. About as strong as last week, but not as much fading. Signal had a horrible buzzing component which I didn't notice previously. (22 Nov)

6870.18 Playback Int. Decent signal strength, but audio almost nonexistant. Tech. problems?? (22 Nov)

6420.01 R. Lowland Anmnt at start of recording w/ment of “…on a rainy Sunday morning…â€
Last edited by Dave Valko on Sat Nov 28, 2009 00:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Valko
Dunlo, PA, USA
Radio Scotland
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by Radio Scotland »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reporting!
On 6202 was not a test, problems with the power supply caused this 'on and off'.
The 16 A fuses were off now and then, looks like the modulator was causing this.
Coming back on air takes a while, because the DDS (digital tunings unit) has to tuned in each time the power is being off.
Think that problem is solved now.

Greetings, Albert.