Logs from Newfoundland, Canada

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

newfoundland dxer
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Logs from Newfoundland, Canada

Post by newfoundland dxer »

Hi everyone:

This is my first post of loggings from the island of Newfoundland, off Canada's east coast.

I only started listening to pirates a couple of months ago, but it has been a tremendous amount of fun. Up to last week, I was hearing mostly 100w to 1 kw stations, but two weeks ago I moved my antenna 30m from my house, eliminating power line noise. The results have been incredible. While everyone else has been commenting on the horrible conditions this past weekend, I had the best Dxing weekend of my life!

Before my logs, I have to thank everyone in Iann's chat room (http://www.easyshopdiscountzone.com/rad ... e/english/), and especailly Iann himself, for all of their help and advice over the past couple of months. It's impossible to name all of the nice, helpful people that I have met, there have been so many, but you know who you are. Thank you everyone.

The logs:

Friday, April 3

2045-2116 6394,6 kHz TransAtlantic Broadcast 14341 Music, lots of talk, "Great Balls of Fire" at 2119 (20w)

2236-2300 6554,1 kHz Galaxy Radio 24441 Music including Rolling Stones Polka Medley & Ghostbusters. (25w)

2340-2341 6235,0 kHz MRF Radio 24441 Playing with carrier around and on top of Relmus. ID as "MRF Radio". (35w)

2340-2400 6235,0 kHz Relmus Radio 34442 "These Boots are Made for Walking" plus other country, Pink Floyd by request. (150w)

Saturday, April 4

Got up at 0430 local (0800utc),but only one morning log:

0933-0955 6305,0 kHz Radio Black Power 24441 "You're The One That I Want", "Kung Fu Fighting" faded out 0955. (Sunrise here was apporoximately 0915, so this signal broke the "daylight barrier" to North America).

2106-2136 6209,9 kHz UNID 14331 Barely audible, mix of talk and pop music, phone number given "0044....". still on at 2211 and 0012 rechecks at same poor level. Phone number and programming matched that heard by European listeners in the morning, but noone in Iann's chat room could hear it at night! I was given the full number by a fellow listener, called and left a message, but no reply.

2238-2300 3920,0 kHz Voice of the Netherlands 44443 Music and greetings (600w)

2328-2340 6240,0 kHz Radio Alttrex 34442 lots of CCR, greetiings, Pink Floyd by request. (35w)

Sunday, April 5

2010-2030 6925,0u kHz Spider Radio 24431 "Heart of Glass", "Whiter Shade of Pale", greek rock, greetings

2030-2058 3895,0 kHz Continental Radio Easy listening music, Elvis "Suspicious Minds"

This is not a complete list of my logs, but all of the above (with the exception of VOTN and Spider) were new stations for me. This is why I consider this to have been such an excellent weekend.

I have posted these logs in order to encourage other North American listeners to try their luck. I was inspired by Dave Valko's logs on this site, and I hope I might inspire others.

For any prospective newbies who want to try their luck:

Mystery Radio, 6220,0 kHz, is a regular here, fading in around 1830/1900 and reaching up to 54444 on Saturday. Playback, 6870 kHz is another consistant performer, generally one number below Mystery on the SINPO overall rating. Laser Hot Hits, measured here at 4024,6 kHz is, at worst, just a carrier and, at best, barely audible. (Makes me wonder if they are beaming to Europe, or behind a very big hill.)

73's

Terry
Glowbug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Glowbug »

Welcome aboard from the other coast, eh? :veryhi

How are conditions over there? Pretty sporadic on this coast. One day I can hear a "flea fart" from your neck of the woods, the next day I can barely get a CBC station ](*,)

Cheers!
Glowbug
"Tubes are the spice of life"
(Unless specifically stated, my posts are my opinion and not as an Admin)
newfoundland dxer
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Post by newfoundland dxer »

Hi Glowbug:

Thanks for the welcome. I know the rain coast well. I have family out there. Must be a real challenge to log Europirates though!

I'm not sure if I am the most qualified to judge conditions. I thought last weekend was excellent, which is the total opposite of all the more experienced listener's postings. :D

I've only been able to listen weekends recently, and they have been pretty consistant: Lots of pirates audible in the evening, none or few audible mornings. This seems to go against the conventional wisdom for North American listeners, but it works for my QTH.

As for non-Eurorpean reception, I can't really comment. I've been focused almost entirely on Europirates. Even my recreational listening has been Mystery and Playback. :D

73's

Terry
Glowbug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Glowbug »

Hi Terry,

Well, we've had a few great spring days for us over here to dry out somewhat. Back to the drizzle tonight though :roll:

Some good DX news from our other coast ! :D

It is a challenge to log Europirates, but I have been able to hear more of them than the US ones - of which I logged my first one a couple months back since beginning DX'ing a little over 30 years ago. N-S prop is spectacular - 400mW Mojave Desert beacons I can hear. E-W prop requires a miracle.

I'll blame all these mountains :lol:

When the sun acts up (hear that sun... SPOTS! We need SPOTS! :lol: ), I can get some great auroral prop over the pole.

Cheers!
Glowbug
"Tubes are the spice of life"
(Unless specifically stated, my posts are my opinion and not as an Admin)